Blog - By Roger Griffeth

Click to View Alabama Power Fishing Map
Weiss Lake Alabama 


Can I Eat The Fish?

We often get this question from potential home buyers concerned about the water quality at Weiss Lake. So, let's talk about eating fish caught at Weiss.  The fact is, most folks do (eat the fish). In fact, fishing folks come from all over the country to get the opportunity to load up their coolers with fish, all types of fish, but mostly, Crappie. 

Table full of Weiss Lake Crappie


The biggest problem with eating fish (so I'm told) is mercury. Apparently, excessive mercury consumption can lead to heart disease. While not a scientist, I can just imagine that eating a lot of fish from any body of water could have potential adverse effects. As for myself, very seldom do I ever eat fish and I've had two heart attacks.  Mercury, however, is not the major problem at Weiss, PCBs is the biggest problem associated with eating fish and one should be mindful that Weiss Lake does have issues with PCBs. 

Personally, IF I could catch a fish, any fish, I might be concerned about whether or not to eat it.  Since I couldn't catch a fish if you put it on my line, I limit my intake of fish to once every month of so (or when the coupons come out) from Captain D's.  I DO worry about the mercury content as-well-as all the other pollutants in our waterways, but not as much as I do the folks working behind the counter doing the cooking, cleaning, etc. 

The official report from the State of Alabama tells us that:

The State warns us that we should limit our fish consumption to those fish caught at or around the Weiss Reservoir Lower reservoir to: Black Crappie 1 meal/week. Blue Catfish 1 meal/month. Channel catfish 1 meal/month. Largemouth bass 1 meal/month. Striped bass 1 meal/month.

Mid reservoir, immediately upstream of causeway at Cedar Bluff. Black Crappie 1 meal/week. Blue Catfish 1 meal/month. Channel catfish 1 meal/month. Largemouth bass 1 meal/month. Striped bass 1 meal/month.

AL/GA state line. Black Crappie 1 meal/week. Blue Catfish 1 meal/month. Largemouth bass 1 meal/month.

Yes, You can eat the fish...just don't swallow the bones.  As the old saying goes, ANYTHING in moderation!

You can read the State of Alabama's full report on my Blog at http://www.lakeweissalabama.com/blog4.htm and if you are really concerned about eating fish - check this out.

12 Fish You Should Never Eat!!!! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Private Mortgage Insurance

Weiss Lake Recreational Lots, Campers Lots and RV Lots